Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Mustard and Leek soup


that could be called Vichyssoise, but is not! Why, you ask? You don't, you just read do you?
It is for a reason, should you want to know.

1) it's not cold.
2) it's not about using only the white parts of the leek.
3) my chicken stock wasn't light (as in almost no color) but nicely colored.
4) I used carrot to make a brunoise
5) and I added mustard

Omit the above and act like Anthony Bourdain and you'll have great looking Vichysoisse.
However should you follow my recipe which you will obviously prefer, you'll get a beautiful bowl of steamy creamy soup.

Recipe:

knob of butter
1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
6 medium leek, use the white and the lighter green part, thinly sliced
4 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tbs sharp mustard
1 tbs honey mustard
250 ml light cream
chives
pepper and salt
chicken stock, I think I used 1-1,5 ltr

Clean and cut the vegetables, reserve the white part of one leek sliced very thinly to add to the plates/bowls just before serving.
In a large soup pot melt the butter over low heat, making sure it is not browning, add the carrot and half of the leeks, stir with a spoon to make sure the vegetables have a coating of butter. Let it sweat for 5 minutes or so, just giving fragrance not coloring! Add rest of leeks and the potato slices and cook for a further 5 minutes. Stir to mix.

Time for the chicken stock now, I must admit I added as I saw fit and that means no exact measures, but you will stir and add, and maybe add some more. I use the "feel" of my stirring spoon to know if it needs more stock. Bring to a boil. When there is a nice rolling boil, reduce heat to a slow simmering. Again, use your feel to know when the potatoes and leeks are ready, they should be soft and tender. Close to 25 to 35 minutes cooking time.

I used my Magimix to puree the soup in. If you are using a blender, make sure you'll do this in small portions. (I once found myself covered in banana-goo-milkshake and thát was cold.... need I say more?)
When you're done it's back to the soup pot, on low heat whisk in cream, and add mustard. Stir to mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste. You could add some more bouillon now, should you feel the soup is too thick for your taste.

Last additions: just a spoonful of cognac will add a little depth to the flavour and of course prior to serving sprinkle with freshly cut chives. Whoops, I am leaving out the thinly sliced white leek... add that as well! I like a bit of crunch in this. Enjoy!

PS: Since this isn't much of an effort, you will have time to bake a beautiful loaf of bread, one with a crackly crust that sings once it's done and out of the oven.... I know I did!

En...dit is mijn bijdrage voor de door Aldo van Dining & Wining uitgeschreven receptenwedstrijd. De links van de deelnemende blogs worden deze keer verzameld door Gerrit-Jan van Eetschrijven.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I'd much prefer yours!!! and I'd fur sure want that singing loaf of bread!!! way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hé, perfect brood zeg!!!
    Welke is het?
    Of stiekeum uit frankrijk gehaald...??!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dat brood? Oh dat was zo lekker.. en als ik nou nog weet wat ik gedaan heb..
    In ieder geval een poolish met een klein beetje rogge gebruikt van 2.1/2 uur, daar nog wat van Beth's 2-week biga aan toegevoegd en vervolgens een slap doch vormbaar deeg gemaakt met de rest van bloem, water, olijfolie.
    In een goed hete oven afgebakken. Lange eerste rijstijd, lange tweede rijstijd.
    Stukje Frankrijk op een broodplank!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really yummy. I need soup!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate and enjoy reading all your comments! If you have any questions feel free to email me.