Sunday, March 18, 2007

Tea time

When we last visited the town of Heusden, we came across this little shop called "De Verwennerij" (the Indulgence). We couldn't resist to try some of the cheeses and spreads that were laid out to sample and of course we bought some cheese and some tea.
The tea was very fragrant, smelling of mint and something I couldn't exactly place. Once home, we put the kettle on and made some tea. Instantly fell in love with it. Refreshing and soothing at the same time.
It's called "le Touareg". The bag from the shop in Heusden didn't reveal any information but luckily on our day trip to Utrecht we found what looked like the same tea (at least it was the same name) in Dille & Kamille.
It looks like this is a strong green tea (gunpowder) mixed with Moroccan (Nana) mint leaves. I wasn't far off in saying that this tea has a soothing and at the same time refreshing effect for the nana mint leaves are said to possess "soothing, calming and medicinal properties – especially effective with digestive problems or nausea and is also known for strengthening the heart and gall bladder." Wow, all this and more in a cup of tea!
As you can see, there is no difference between the two, the one in the yellow bowl is the Heusden variety, the one in the lighter grey bowl from Dille & Kamille. If you happen to find this variety, try it!

5 comments:

  1. I love tea and this one sounds very good and good for you also!! I'll be looking too. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep my eyes open...but chances of finding it in Alabama are between slim and none!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Sandi:
    It might be possible to grow your own "gunpowder" tea in Alabama? ( the moroccan mint thrives anywhere...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound soothing! I am a coffee drinker myself but i do enjoy tea as well :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate and enjoy reading all your comments! If you have any questions feel free to email me.