Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Bread Baking Babes healthy addiction: Muesli Rolls



It’s my turn! I can totally do whatever I want with this Month…. Well sort of. The idea is nice no? So yes this is My Kitchen of the Month month and I choose………..



~~drumroll~~




MUESLI ROLLS!!
This is a recipe by Dean Brettschneider from his book “Bread” As the baker says: a real breakfast roll for champions, full of seeds, dried fruits and chocolate. They are great fresh, or toasted the next day. I find that they keep great and freeze well. I baked a double batch for a birthday, put them in the freezer. Thaw in the closed bag and give around 3 minutes in a hot oven.

Do try them with Swiss Emmenthal cheese, perfect partners! (or if you ask me, any other ripe slightly nutty cheese because the flavours enhance each other)
Don’t let yourself get shy because of this long list of ingredients, it really is just making dough, and adding in stuff. That’s what it is; just stuff. Not intimidating at all!
For the Dutch flour users: the first time I held back a little of the water, second time I had to add a little water…. I heard from my fellow Babes on the other side of the globe that they needed some extra water. So I would suggest to go with what the recipe says and feel your dough if it needs some more. You should aim for an elastic dough, not wet.
Muesli Rolls 
by Dean Brettschneider - Bread
makes 15 rolls

450 gr (2.3/4 cups) strong bread flour
50 gr (1/3 cup) wholemeal or whole wheat flour
40 gr (1/2 cup) jumbo rolled oats
8 gr  (2.3/4 tsp) instant dry yeast
10 gr (2 tsp) salt
30 gr (1.1/2 Tbs) treacle or blackstrap molasses
20 gr (1 Tbs honey
20 ml (4 tsp) olive oil
370 ml (1.1/2 cups) water
40 gr (scant 1/2 cup) walnut pieces (chopped small)
30 gr (3 Tbs) linseeds/flaxseeds
20 gr (2.1/4 Tbs) sesame seeds
80 gr (1/2 cup) sunflower seeds
80 gr (2/3 cup) pumpkin seeds
40 gr (1/4 cup) dried apricots, cut into pieces
80 gr (1/2 cup) small chocolate chips/drops (optional)
100 gr (1 generous cup) jumbo rolled oats to decorate
Place flours, oats, yeast, salt and wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Using a wooden spoon, combine to form a dough.  Tip dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 15 minutes, resting it for 1 minute every 2-3 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Check dough throughout kneading for stickiness; add a little more water or flour if necessary to achieve a soft dough that's  not too firm.
Add walnuts, seeds, dried fruit and chocolate (if desired). Knead until well incorporated and combined into dough.  Place dough in  a lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm (plastic wrap) and leave in a warm place for approximately  1.1/2 hour, until dough has doubled in size. Gently knock back dough in bowl by folding it back onto itself several times. Cover again and leave for a further 30 minutes.

Tip dough upside down onto a lightly floured work surface.  Sprinkle flour over top of dough (which was on the bottom of the bowl).  Very carefully turn dough over and gently flatten to 2cm (3/4 in) thick.  Using a dough scraper or large chef's knife, cut dough into 7cm (2 3/4in) squares.  Using a pastry brush, brush the tops with water, Sprinkle entire surface of each roll with rolled oats, and pat down gently to stick them on.

Line a baking tray (cookie sheet) with baking (parchment) paper.  Place rolls onto lined tray, leaving a 2-3cm (3/4-11/4in) gap between each roll.  Cover with clingfilm (plastic wrap) and leave to proof for 30-45 minutes, depending on room temperature.
Place rolls on baking tray (cookie sheet) in a preheated 230C/450F/Gas 8 oven, apply steam and quickly close oven door. 
Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning tray around halfway through baking if needed. Remove rolls from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My notes:
- You want real? Okay here’s real…. Me and my family just looooove these rolls. They really are so good.
- I don’t always add chocolate, sometimes I up the apricots, add raisins, some more nuts and no pumpkin seeds. Just keep the weight in mind while substituting
- Also I don’t always add the rolled oats on top. Sometimes I just leave them naked.
- Or….Mary Contrary, put the rolled oats on the bottom. So the tops stay nice and shiny and a little bit crunchy.
- Tanna mentioned using potato water as her liquid…. Elizabeth thought about whey….. these girls are thinking!
- Oh go on and bake them!

Would you like to be a Bread Baking Buddy?
I am host kitchen this month and I would love to see you baking with us. However… I was so clever to register for KOM June ánd go on a vacation somewhere around that time. So luckily there is Lien to the rescue!! Lien (from Notitie Van Lien fame) will also be ready to receive your submission ánd send you your Buddy Badge!
Here’s how:
Just make the rolls, then email your link (or email your photo and a bit about your experience if you don't have a blog) to BOTH  bakemyday {at} gmail {dot} com AND to notitievanlien(at)gmail(punt)com add subject BBBuddy
Submissions are due by July 1st.  Once you've posted, you'll receive a Buddy badge for baking along, then watch for a roundup of all of the BBBuddies posts a few days after the close of submissions, or in this case…. as soon as I am home again or near WiFi.
The Bread Baking Babes are:

Hey pssst: have you seen them? We added a couple of new Babes…. and yes they scare us. Just a bit. It’s Karen from Karen’s Kitchen Stories (seen her latest post? I bet she did that to please me. Us. Fried Onion Rings. Sigh. And then we have Judy! Judy blogs at Judy’s gross eats and she has volunteered to be Kitchen of the Month next month! (well sort of. we don’t pressure. people just volunteer. by themselves.)





ANd check out their posts here as they appear:




12 comments:

  1. Thanks for such an amazing recipe, and your kind words =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an incredibly good good roll! Looking at your crumb makes me think I really should use a little more bread flour;-) well for the next time.
    Alas these were gone before Emmethaller cheese made it home but even cheddar was great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved these, too! I didn't get a chance to try them with emmentaler, but I definitely will next time...sounds like a delicious match. Thanks so much for the great choice this month (and I, too, love to see the differences and interpretations)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful rolls! So good as toast or with cheese. I left out the chocolate, sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds and increased the nuts and sunflower seeds. Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks this is a great recipe Karen, we love these rolls. Just like they are, they are great. I'll have to make them soon again, it's so handy to have them in stock in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These rolls were a great choice!! I love them.

    And silly me, I keep forgetting to try them with Swiss Emmenthal cheese. But, they are also brilliant with Monterey Jack and buckwheat honey.

    Thank you, thank you, thank you for choosing this recipe, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was such a delicious to begin the Babe journey. I'm looking forward to many more baking experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes to the cheese! And maybe some pate? With coffee for breakfast or with red wine for luch....

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a great choice Karen! I think you're right about it being a healthy addiction! These rolls are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for picking such a ggood recipe for us to bake this month, Karen.
    I made this twice, first as a loaf and then as rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh Katie.. paté? I am all for paté on rolls!

    So happy to hear you all enjoyed these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karen,
    I baked along. Love this recipe with all the nuts, seeds and dry fruits. Here is the link to my post: http://flourishen.blogspot.com/2015/06/muesli-spelt-rolls.html. Do I need to email you? This is the first time baking with BBB. Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate and enjoy reading all your comments! If you have any questions feel free to email me.