Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Chili con carne












But then, slightly different, son nr. 1 named this dish: chili con kippo. For me the ground spices and the long slow cooking made all the difference. You'll need:
2 ts ground cumin
1/2 ts pimento
1-2 ts chilipepper (I used freshly ground flakes)
1 ts paprika powder
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves (large ones!), pressed
approx. 400 gr. chicken breast, cubed
1 can peeled tomatoes in juice (420 gr)
1 small can double concentrate tomatopuree (70 gr)
1 can red kidney beans (250 gr)
1 can brown beans (530 gr)
1 can butterbeans or cannolini beans (250 gr)
approx. 400 ml broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)
salt and pepper
1 ts sugar
2-3 large carrots, in thin slices
2 fat leeks, thin slices
1 or 2 red/green bell peppers, cubed

I warned you (I did, did I not?) this is not your throw-together simple-out-of-a-can recipe. Well it involves a lot of canned food but you have to actually do a little.
Start with roasting the ground spices in a dry frying pan. Set aside.
Heat oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion till soft (2-3 minutes), add the greens and garlic and fry for a minute or two. Set aside, combine with spices.
Brown your chicken, and add all the other ingredients including the veggies, spices and the broth. Make sure your pan is big enough to hold the lot. Simmer on medium/low heat for at least 1 hour, maybe a little longer, depends on how you like your stew.
Now is the time for you to take a breath, sit back and relax for a while.
Serve with flour tortilla's, white rice and some sour cream. (This will easily feed a family of 5 with plenty leftovers, or add some salad and tortilla chips and you'll be able to stretch it even further).

Edit: I think I might enter this dish for the ARF tuesday Sweetnicks came up with. Food bloggers around the world post their recipes with antioxidant-rich foods or fruits and veggies. Low cal, low carb and now ARF..... these people speak with tongues.

2 comments:

  1. I love chilis and I definitely would try this, never having tried it with chicken before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks great and I have chili on my menu for next week, I was just browsing for a new recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate and enjoy reading all your comments! If you have any questions feel free to email me.