Wednesday, April 04, 2012

ABC Bakers: Pull apart buttery rolls

IMG_4323

ABC Badge_Post ABC Bakers post for April is about bread, fluffy white dinner rolls. Or in our case lunch rolls for hungry teenagers that came in after a morning of playing soccer. They each had four….
The idea to make a series of rolls so close together that they become one is fun. The fact that they bake in a pan instead of a sheet make them go up instead of sideways.

IMG_4328

I’m afraid I left the recipe and went with the idea of pull apart rolls, baked in a 9x13 pan. I really thought we didn’t need all that sugar and extra butter in rolls. What I did was adding some cooked couscous! I had some leftover from dinner and while mixing the dough thought that would be a nice addition…. Furthermore I subbed some rye for white flour and added black sesame seeds in the dough, and used all milk.IMG_4326

Those rolls were more filling than you would guess, although they rose quite high and their crumb was nice and airy. Brushed the domes with butter while hot. I love the shine and the resulting crust you get by doing that.

This is what I went with:

Pull apart rolls;

270 ml milk
40 gr butter
170 gr rye
300 gr bread flour
1 egg
2 tsp yeast
2 Tbs sugar
1.1/4 tsp salt
40 gr cooked cous cous
black sesame seeds (approx. 2 Tbs)

Knead a supple dough, first rise is fairly quick because of the amount of yeast in these, about 45 minutes. Turn dough out on a clean work surface (no need for any extra flour, if you don’t feel safe use a bit of oil on your counter). Deflate by pressing down gently and roll up tight. Then proceed by dividing the dough into 16 equal pieces. I like to use my bench scraper to do that.
Roll into balls by cupping your hand over the dough ball and lightly push the ball against the counter while making small rotating movements. This way you make use of the friction from the dough against the counter to make nice and tight rolls. Try it! You’ll be amazed how smooth and quick this goes. (If think this is hard try practicing with an orange).

Put the balls of dough in your buttered pan (9x13”)  cover with plastic wrap and let rise for the second time until they are nice and close together. This will probably take another 40 minutes.
Bake in a preheated oven (375F or 190C) for about 20 minutes, until nice and golden. When finished brush the tops right away with some butter. There’s no need to melt the butter because the rolls are still hot.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I loved these rolls too.... let alone the kids! I do that too, kneading left overs in doug: rise, potato, couscous, makes great dough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your idea of adding in couscous! Your rolls looks great! These was a hit in my house too! A keeper recipe that I'll be making again and again! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just about sub-ed out the entire recipe then ... that's pretty funny. These rolls are totally pretty! The gorgeous pretty one hopes for for Thanksgiving dinner! Ha, I love all you changes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did! -and it made me giggle- but you know when I see 90 gr of sugar and butter each, half and half cream and egg yolks I don't think rolls anymore, I think cake! I made rolls...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe how close our recipe changes are. I too reduced the sugar (a LOT), the butter, used all milk (1%), and used 1 egg instead of egg yolks. Instead of rye flour, I used some WW flour. I'm glad these were a big hit. They look really pretty when they're that tall. I baked mine on a cookie sheet.

    I hope things are getting better (family wise).

    Hugs,
    Hanaa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I noticed you changed the half and half to all milk and reduced butter and sugar but never realized our changes were so close! Great minds ... haha.
    Thank you for the well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow couscous! Such an interesting addition...and rye flour too! I'm sure it tastes amazing! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate and enjoy reading all your comments! If you have any questions feel free to email me.