Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Cantaloupe ice cream is Orange too!


Cantaloupe, originally uploaded by BakingSoda.

Orange again. After the match last Friday (a white knuckle ride playing against France which resulted in an exciting game, a scary last 20 minutes and beating Les Bleus with 4-1). Tonight the Dutch team is facing Romania, and France meets Italy. The situation is such that when Romania beats the Dutch tonight, both Italy and France may be eliminated.... This is fodder for speculation, but I do hope -and expect- the Dutch to play for what they are worth and not sell the match. (Our coach, Marco van Basten was asked if he was contemplating entering a "B-team" answered: we don't have a B-team.... uhoh arrogance?). Anyway, we've managed to get into quarter finals and yesterday night the Germans secured their quarter finals with a close shave win on Austria. Anyone nervous yet?

We'll be watching the game tonight with friends, my friend and I the only females surrounded by 7 guys ..... I'll make sure there's ice cream to cool their nerves!

I am not that familiar with ice cream making, my Kenwood attachment is fairly new and hasn't been used much. For this recipe I wasn't very adventurous and tried the Ben and Jerry's version that is to be found anywhere on the net.

Cantaloupe Ice Cream (Yield: Makes 1 quart / almost 1 ltr)

1 large cantaloupe, very ripe
juice of 1 lemon
Cut the cantaloupe in half and clean out the seeds. Scoop the fruit into a mixing bowl, add the lemon juice, and mash until the fruit is puréed. Drain the juice into another bowl and reserve. Cover the melon purée and refrigerate.

Sweet cream base :
2 large eggs
¾ cup sugar
2 cups whipping cream
1 cup milk
Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue to whisk until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.

Whisk in the fruit juice. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions. After the ice cream stiffens, about 2 minutes before it is done, add the cantaloupe.

If more juice has accumulated, do not pour it in because it will water down the ice cream. Continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.

7 comments:

  1. And it was victory again!! A great orange choice to make ice cream with! Also a great fruit to make a sorbet ice with. No cream, less calories in case they keep on winning!! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! But they had a hard time this match!

    I am not a fan of ice cream at all and if I eat any I prefer sorbet over cream. Made a great orange (!) sorbet couple of weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure the team is winning with all the orange support! Best keep it up. I'll have to trust you did save me a bowl of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm committed to making more fruit ice creams this summer, as opposed to chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. this is on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. loks like a very refreshing ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had melon ice cream, but now you've got me curious! Most of the time the melons I come across are Galia melons (the green ones) and not cantaloupe. Where did you find these?

    It's unfortunate that all our Oranje spirit didn't help the NL elftal on Saturday night! :(

    Now who to cheer for?

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was little, I used to eat cantaloupe with ice cream...though I never thought of combining the two! Great idea!

    Did you know that Cupcake hero was having a melon cupcake contest for the month of June? Cantaloupe ice cream cupcakes would've been grreat! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate and enjoy reading all your comments! If you have any questions feel free to email me.