Monday, January 14, 2008

Flamme küche or Alsatian Pizza


(Nederlands? Even scrollen!)

So good, so easy! If you never try any of the recipes I show you here, please do make this one!

I can imagine whipping this up as a kind of party food, sliced in finger-sized pieces. Even reheated for lunch it still maintains all of it's charms. We had this last Friday night, came home late after collecting the kids and just an hour and a half before I had to shuttle another one to practice. This dough is so easy to make and a real pleasure to work with. The filling? Pah...easy peasy! Taste? Soooo rewarding and munchingly good, especially after a busy week!

Dough:
2 tsp yeast
1.1/2 tsp salt
375 grams all purpose flour
375 grams breadflour
500 ml water
1 tsp sugar

Don't leave out the sugar, I think it enhances the flavours. This is the ideal dough to knead in your stand mixer or bread machine; (I discovered that loading my bowl with liquid first works best), just add it all to the bowl and mix for 10 minutes on low speed. It will come together beautifully, soft and silky, slightly tacky to the touch. It won't clear the bowl completely, there will be a tiny sticky part on the bottom of your bowl but don't mind that. Scrape it all out, a few quick turns on an ungreased, unfloured surface and ready to rise in a well-oiled bowl for about 45 minutes.

In the meantime get your filling ready; I'll give you the original and my spur of the moment and empty fridge solution as well in green:

Filling:
100 gr. fresh cheese (100 gr yoghurt)
100 ml. creme fraiche (100 gr single cream)
2 tsp flour (4 tsp flour to make up for the thinner cream and yoghurt)
1/2 ts salt
1 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs chives
small handfull of cheese
Mix well in a small bowl, set aside.

2 onions, peeled and sliced into thin rings
80 gr bacon bits

Proceed to divide and roll the dough to fit three (or four depending on size) pizza molds. Don't roll too thinly though. Smear the filling onto the dough and sprinkle with onin rings and bacon.

Another quick rise, let's say: 15 to 30 minutes and bake in a preheated oven 400F (200C) for 15-20 minutes. Bacon crisp, crust golden and the filling barely set. When you'd like this pizza to be vegetarian just substitute the bacon for some nice greens like leek, broccoli or spinach and add a dash of pepper.

Nederlands:

Dit is een erg makkelijke pizza-variant, zo klaar en erg lekker. De vulling is makkelijk te maken en heel kindvriendelijk. Vegetarisch is ook geen probleem; vervang de spekblokjes door knapperige groenten zoals bijv. broccoli of prei. Verse spinazie zou ook erg lekker zijn; maal er dan wat peper over.

Het deeg:
2 tl gist
1.1/2 tl zout
750 gr bloem, half om half broodbloem en patentbloem
500 gr water
1 tl suiker

Alles samenvoegen in de kom van je stand mixer of de bak van je broodmachine en kneed ongeveer 10 minuten op een lage snelheid. Het deeg is erg soepel en zacht, licht plakkerig (alsof je zo'n geel post-it briefje pakt), er zal waarschijnlijk een klein poeltje zacht deeg onderin je kom blijven hangen, geen enkel probleem; even op je niet-bebloemde/niet geoliede werkblad doorkneden en laten rijzen in een ge-oliede kom tot het bijna verdubbeld is, ong. 45 minuten.
In de tussentijd maak je de vulling klaar:

100 gr kwark (of yoghurt)
1 dl creme fraiche (of room)
2 tl bloem (als je yoghurt en room gebruikt, dan 4 tl bloem!)
1/2 tl zout'
1 el olijf olie

Meng dit in een kommetje en zet even apart. (Ik heb er deze keer nog een klein handje geraspte kaas doorgeroerd en 2 el bieslook).

2 uien, gepeld en in dunne ringen gesneden
80 gr. spekblokjes

Wanneer het deeg zover is, verdeel je het in 3 delen. Uitrollen zodat het in je pizza vormen past, (niet te dun, ong. 1/2 cm of iets meer). Besmeren met de vulling en bestrooien met ui-ringen en spekblokjes. Nog even een tweede rijs, niet te lang, ong. 15 tot 30 minuten.

Afbakken in een voorverwarmde oven op 200C (hetelucht) ongeveer 15-20 minuten. De korst is dan mooi goudbruin, de bacon gebakken en de vulling niet helemaal vast. Heerlijk!

19 comments:

  1. Yum! I particularly like that it has a different filling - I'm used to American pizza, which is all about tomato sauce. This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like this is what pizza should always be about - what do I have! Simple and sounds extra good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pizza looks just great ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the topping for this - I've been making white pizzas lately, and this is a good addition. I've also been putting seeds into the dough - fennel seeds last time, utterly delicious

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm guessing this would be good cold in a lunchbox too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! I just made pizza for lunch yesterday, and the crust wasn't the best, so I'm looking for a good recipe. I'll have to try your's out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I just spent 2 hours browsing cookbooks for a recipe for flammkuche! I feel there is some sort of bloggers' mind channel at work! This is for next weekend for me. I'm going to give your version a try, and will report.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @David Tanna and Anjoe: It really is! I like the fact that it's simple and effective.

    @Joanna: Yum, additions in the dough is a good idea!

    Amanda...I hope my son isn´t reading this...but I bet you´re right!

    @Deborah: This dough is easy to work with and a breeze to make and handle although technically it's not a pizza dough.

    @Lindy: yes do! I like to hear yr results using your flour and such. I really think there is some kind of flow; so many times I'm thinking of something and see similar things popping up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deze pizza ziet er, net als de 2 broden hieronder, super uit. Ik kan mij niet herinneren dat ik ooit een pizza heb geproefd zonder een basissaus van tomaten. Ik ga 'm dan ook zeker een keer uitproberen. Bedankt voor het recept!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh I feel like I am biting into your pizaa now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Baking Soda
    Thanks for visting my blog and leaving encouraging words. It helps to grow. Hey, just question..why is it called the alsatian pizza..just for curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have done many Tarte Flambée (I have posted mine on my blog) ever since I lived in France and it is always delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hai Karin

    Pink wil je de groeten doen, ze zit nu naast mij je b lock te lezen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmm, vanavond paprikasoep en deze pizza erbij. Bedankt voor de recepten. Heel erg leuk dat je nu ook weer regelmatig in het Nederlands plaatst.

    Groetjes truus

    ReplyDelete
  16. How can I convince you to bring that to me for my lunch today. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The idea of serving it as finger food is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the recipe, I made it yesterday, it was so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ... inmiddels gebakken en ik moet zeggen dat tie errug lekker is! Nogmaals bedankt voor het recept.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate and enjoy reading all your comments! If you have any questions feel free to email me.