Saturday, December 30, 2006

This year's oliebollen

90, 92, 94, 96, 98, 100...

I think something like 150 "oliebollen" and some 40 "appelflappen". You wouldn't believe the smell in my little kitchen-annex...and me, my hair, my clothes, my everything. Brrr.

But the job is done, I've had my annual (should I say ritual?) bath and I can approach people again without having them think: "hey, had a swim in a truckload used oil?"

I don't think anyone outside the Netherlands would seriously consider burying themselves in a confined space for the better part of the 31st December baking these balls (even over here people tend to buy them in the bakery or in a "oliebollenkraam") but in case you would like to try:

for approx. 50 oliebollen you need:

1000 gr ap flour
700 gr water (or half water, half pilsener beer) maybe some more water
2 eggs
5 ts yeast
2 ts salt
1.1/2 tbs sugar
75gr. melted butter

Filling is optional but very good:

450 gr consisting mainly of raisins and currants, you could add cranberries or dried apple in tiny cubes to taste.

Combine flour, yeast and liquids in a bowl and mix, add eggs, butter and salt. Whisk well, aim for a smooth, supple rather liquid batter. Like a stiff pancake batter, not at all dough-like. It should slowly sheet from your whisk.

Spoon in filling ingredients and mix well. Cover with plastic and set aside to rise at room temperature approx. 45 min. to 1 hour. Don't punch down but with the help of two spoons or a cookie scoop form balls and fry for approx. 3 minutes in oil (190C or 375F). They will need some help to turn, but sometimes you'll get lucky and they are so evenly scooped they will turn themselves and that, my dear reader, is oliebollen bliss!! Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Below are the apple slices dipped in a sugar-cinnamon mix prior to be showered with batter and fried in hot oil becoming apple-flappen. More about these tomorrow!

Sigh! It's done!

7 comments:

  1. Sign, I think I'd love to be your helper. Smell washes off.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Imagine the fun we would have!! Singing along with the top2000...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too. You are a goddess to make all those, I hope you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hier zijn ze ook net klaar
    20 oliebollen, 60 appelflappen en dan nog 50 nieuwjaarsrolletjes....
    Gelukkig nieuwjaar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry!!
    They look all delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, you are seriously having a good time making this oliebollen. Tempting indeed...

    Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate and enjoy reading all your comments! If you have any questions feel free to email me.