Once in a while, often when you least expect it, you fall in love, this could be the one that has it all:
2. the idea that maybe, just maybe this one could make you happy
3. it doesn't cost you the world
4. your kids will love it
5. with a little ingenuity you can use it for a lot of things
6. it doesn't take up much space
7. it doesn't scream for attention
8. after use, just a quick shower will do
9. low maintenance
10. and if doesn't perform, just get rid of it, no tears, no heartache
Qualities you would love to see in like, say, a husband? But alas, my girls, fear not/don't get your hopes up (tick the box), I am talking kitchen gadgets here.
This modest green beauty is designed to core and slice your apples and that is exactly what it does, to perfection. (No, it doesn't give a decent backrub or warm your cold feet on winternights). This time I used it to slice my cooking pears and made "stoofpeertjes" (red stewed pears).
1 kg cooking pears (peeled, cored, sliced)
just enough water (and some red wine or berry liquor) to let them tread water but not drown
1 cinnamon bark (stick)
sugar to taste (I used dark brown muscovado)
1/2 peel of an orange
patience and looooow heat
And after an hour or two, you'll get ruby red pears like these. The suggestions made for other flavours in the comment section: substituting the berry wine for whiskey or cognac, adding apple pie spices, or vanilla, or ginger (preferrably fresh), star anise, sereh.