Saturday, September 02, 2006

My favourite things...

"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens,
bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens,
brown paper packages tied up with strings,
these are a few of my favorite things.

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels,
door bells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles.
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings.
These are a few of my favorite things".

Is what Maria sings in the Sound of Music, but we are talking food here and besides the schnitzels and apfel strudel there are so many more things that I favour...
The BBC poll "50 Things to Eat Before You Die", inspired Melissa at The Traveler’s Lunchbox to start a meme-like challenge called "5 Things to Eat Before You Die". Tana at My Kitchen In Half Cups tagged me and I wasn’t sure if I could participate because I don't reckon myself a for real foodie, although when you read this post (don't forget the comments) you might think I qualify....a lot! Besides, qualified or not, it is a fun game. It turns out that thinking of my favourite things consist indeed of wonderful food but also I found that almost all of it had an extra quality added, be it surroundings, company or memories. I can only say; no matter how ultra-exclusive your food, it is who you are, where and with whom you are that makes food memorable.


My 5 things to eat…

1. the lobster in the topfloor restaurant in Nairobi, first night in Africa, the lights of nighttime Nairobi through the windows and lobster....

2. clam chowder in Monterey, 17 years ago, first vacation in the States, walking the pier, listening to the sounds of sealions ("they are playing a tape...no, there they are!) Ordering a bowl of clam chowder and with the first comforting delicious spoonfulls we saw otters playing in the waves....
3. the fries and croquets my grandmother made from scratch especially for me and my sister when we were kids. In a small old battered pan on her stove.

4. the wild mushroom filled ravioli with a delicious basil oil dressing one of our youngest sons had on Lago Maggiore on occasion of my husbands birthday. We were out on the terrace, under the trees, overlooking the lake and the last rays of the sun were playing with the white table linen. Our son made a point of choosing something from the menu he never had before and he loved every bite of it. He insisted that I should taste as well and was so proud he had made the "right" choice.

5. Cheese! There is always a cheese that makes a perfect companion for your fresh baked loaf of bread, your pastas, toast, fruit, wine...

And I’m tagging Lindy, Ashleigh, and Monisha, I hope they don't mind to play along and send their five things to Melissa. I’ve been back to the BBC list and found that I've tried almost all of it except Moreton Bay Bugs,
Barramundi, and Haggis and to be honest.....I think I'll pass on the bugs and the haggis!

3 comments:

  1. Baking Soda - you not a foodie with a list like that! I absolutely love your list.
    And you are so right: I can only say; no matter how ultra-exclusive your food, it is who you are, where and with whom you are that makes food memorable. I don't think anybody has said it just that way on any of the blogs I've read!
    Baking Bread today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible list, Baking Soda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanna has said it. Nothing to add. I love your very personal approach to the theme. Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate and enjoy reading all your comments! If you have any questions feel free to email me.