Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Beef it up!



So....this was the day. Since we live in a rural environment (or we pretend it is) sometimes you get a chance to see where the food you eat is coming from. In this case I was asked if I would like to participate in sharing a cow. Well ah, sure, I would love to. I think. To be honest, I have done this -once-before so I knew a bit of what to expect. But this time a lot of cow was to be shared so I asked a friend, my mother and one of my aunts to come and help portion, pack, and freeze. What you see here is only half of the 50 kgs of meat, waiting to be processed.

I cleaned out my kitchen, we donned aprons and for the weak of heart (okay that would be me) surgical gloves, had 2 scales and 2 sealing machines ready, permanent markers and lots of freezer bags. I was clever enough to even have my camper fridge plugged in for my family had to drive quite a bit back home. Coffee and muffins standby...we were ready to roll!


I will spare you the details of all the meat that passed through our -gloved- hands and the names which I couldn't translate in English anyway. (Note to self: find a picture on the web to know where what part is coming from). But we had lots of fun, giggles and talk between the four of us and wow, did we have a smooth operating team! The mountain of meat was cleared in no time.
The most fun part we saved for the last: a seemingly endless string of sausage. We opened the bag, looked at it in confusion, took a deep breath and twisted away. I think we did a great job! (Specifically my mom and Clasien, great twisting!)


This is me, training my biceps.

More pics you can find in the Flickr thingy on the right hand side, just click and you'll see more of our handiwork. At the moment Blogger isn't uploading the pictures the way I want them to, so click away on Flickr please!

Teamwork!

7 comments:

  1. .. ik dacht dat je een GRAPJE maakte met die 'halve koe' in een van je laatste verhalen....

    Staat ze daar ECHT een beest uit te benen, ik moet hier even van bijkomen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ook wij hebben een aantal malen een koe diepvries klaar gemaakt. Op een dag dat we daar druk mee bezig waren was een van onze kinderen ziek thuis. s Avonds bracht ik hem naar bed en was hij echt uit zijn doen, toen ik hem vroeg wat er nu toch aan de hand was zei hij: mama ik geloof dat ik de gekke koeienziekte heb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Volgens mij is het ook wel heftig hoor om zo geconfronteerd te worden met waar je balletje gehakt nu eigenlijk vandaan komt. (Het helpt natuurlijk ook al niet als iedereen grapjes loopt te maken of "die koe" al in aantocht is). Nou ik moet zeggen, de eerste keer was ook voor mij een beetje brr, deze keer maakten de kinderen het wat bewuster mee en ze hebben wel een paar keer gevraagd of we dat echt gingen opeten. Het was toch wel moeilijk te bedenken dat dit hetzelfde vlees was als van de supermarkt. Net zoals de oudste toen hij een jaar of 4 was wilde weten waar de karbonaadjes vandaan kwamen en na onze voorzichtige uitleg (van de buik van het varken) het helemaal begreep en zei: oh ja en elke keer als je dan een karbonaadje wil dan knip je er eentje van zijn buik af... Het blijft moeilijk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! How much of the cow is yours?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Initially, I opted for 25 kgs, but then I chickened (oops sorry) and shared with a friend, so each 12,5 kgs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Als je ooit nog iemand nodig hebt om mee te delen in een koe (of varken, for that matter) laat het me weten. Lijkt me te gek!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have sooo got to figure out how to use a translator on the computer. I feel like I am totally missing out =D. What a great job you guys did! Teamwork definitely does pay off and the string of sausage was amazing! Can you tell a difference from this beef and what you buy at the store?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate and enjoy reading all your comments! If you have any questions feel free to email me.