Tuesday, March 13, 2012

ABC Bakers: Blender Emergency cupcakes

ABC Badge_Post

This is worrying! I am not even close to the deadline, or maybe I’m just early for the next? Yes, let’s keep it at that.
It is just that life is happening and sometimes life is happening quite forcefully. Oh well.

One could wish cupcakes could cure each and every bump in the road, even the biggest ones. Alas I don’t think they do and … I’m afraid these wouldn’t come even close!IMG_3556

Not sure what’s wrong with them because I read my fellow ABC bakers’ stories and they were happy. Well the choco-monster boys in my house will eat anything chocolate and they did initially. The next day four cupcakes were still standing and wouldn’t be touched. A sure sign. Above and below are pictures of the very first batch, used a minty buttercream frosting with a tiny chocolate flavoured buttercream tip on top.

IMG_3559 {mad piping skills!}

Made this recipe three times. First time I used Dutched cocoa, using a whisk and a bowl, long time ago so I can’t remember precisely what I did, I do remember we weren’t fond of it but I credited that to the hurry in which I made them at the time. Second batch I tried adding a little lemon juice to make up for the Dutch processed cocoa. Third batch was made using baking powder instead of baking soda to make up for the Dutch processed cocoa and dutifully used the blender as per the recipe.IMG_4079

We all missed creaminess, soft crumb and depth of flavour, instead  we found dense, tight crumbed and moist? almost wet cake. I admit that I probably underbaked the last batch hence the lava center. IMG_4082

Not one to repeat for us. Up to the next!

11 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about that. I would highly recommend trying my version which I posted on my blog. It uses both *baking powder* and *baking soda* in combination with Dutch cocoa (I used Blooker from Albert Heijn), and I had no issues.

    You did a great job decorating them. They looks really pretty! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really really tempted to make them again using your combination of leaveners Hanâa because I so wanted them to work but in the end I thought oh well, three times? Should be enough LOL.
      Really I'm beginning to believe it's the cupcake recipe itself (I've made the rounds now and read each entry and I must say they look very similar to mine), maybe it's about perception, our Dutch way of thinking how something like this "should" taste.

      Delete
  2. Hi! I'm sorry that you didn't like the cupcakes. Actually the cupcakes are dense but soft crumbs type of cake...think more of a lighter mud-cake texture. It's not the soft cake texture that you would expect say in Devil's Food Cake. Hanaa uses a different mixing method also and not in blender, hence i think her cake is has lighter crumbs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're on to something Faithy, probably it's a texture thing after all. Thanks

      Delete
  3. You are a champion to try 3 times. I never try anything more than 2 times. If it doesn't work after that...I move on. There are lots of recipes out there. Just wait till the next one..2 strikes and you are out!!! You will understand when you see my post on April 1st...and I didn't even realize until just now it was April Fools Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm have to keep that one in mind; two strikes = out LOL. Can't wait to see what you reveal on April 1st!

      Delete
  4. Hi admin I must say you absolutely bake my day! You blog is cute, I love the recipes and creations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three times and you still didn't like them ... not sure about that. I sure bake again when I like it ...
    Now about your mad piping skills, I LOVE those. They sure win in the looks category in my book ... lost me for even trying when it was chocolate and mint, I just can't go there. The look I love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to see that these cupcakes did not work out for you. I think the Dutch cocoa powder somehow does makes a whole lot of difference. Maybe you could visit Abby's blog and ask for her advice.
    Your swirls are lovely and looks pretty with the chocolate swirl in the center! Looking forward to next month's buttery rolls! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear not even the baking powder worked very well, at least you've tried (and tried and tried!!!) It might be how we dutch view the texture, cause I say some cupcakes that looked very similar to mine too (that I didn't think were very good). Ah well, at least you had fun piping the lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear that you didn't like them but still, making cupcakes using a blender is quite cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate and enjoy reading all your comments! If you have any questions feel free to email me.