Thursday, January 31, 2008

Variations on a theme..

and finally making the deadline for the #6 BBD!

This time, the February edition of Bread Baking Day is all about shape. The monthly Bread Baking Day event was created by Zorra at 1x umr├╝hren bitte, our host this month is Eva at Sweet Sins. This time, it's all about the shape. Shapes as traditional as a braided challah, or maybe some fancy new ones.
I chose to make a traditional pain Epi, and while I was baking up a storm making a couple of other breads and pastry I tried not to forget to take pictures. In my enthusiasm I took pictures of almost everything but the kitchensink.....almost everything... forgot all about the making off pics. No wielding a pair of scissors at just the right angle. No flapping the cut pieces of dough elegantly to the left and right.
For the dough I used this potato-whole wheat recipe again. I really wanted to try it again in a different shape, and since we have guests staying over this weekend, some French bread never goes to waste. I am going to wrap it carefully and store in the freezer. I've done this before and if you pop it in the oven half frozen it's like freshly baked.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely Karen. I want to do this shape again also. I think I need some practice! Yours is really gorgeous. Potato, potato!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, beautiful epi! Great choice for the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that with an epi, you can perfect the crust to crumb ratio! Great entry, thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always a great effect an epi. Looks great! Glad you did not miss the deadline!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous looking bread. I'd still like to know what your kitchen sink looks like, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will try this soon! Looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate and enjoy reading all your comments! If you have any questions feel free to email me.