Tuesday, September 19, 2006

It's a miracle!

For the first time in ah.. two weeks? I cooked a full meal tonight. Not that we haven't eaten a proper dinner since, but I must say this felt real good. May or may not have something to do with wearing real clothes all day today, not the paint-stained jeans and scuffed shoes, even my hands looked reasonably clean today (hands, not talking nails here). I painted all the walls and they are finished yay!, I even did the kitchen. All that is left is the panelling in the hallway and near the stairs... Tomorrow is another day okay?
Back to cooking, we had old fashioned vegetable soup, a cauliflower and curry ovendish with ground beef, potatoes and some apple and a miracle pie for dessert, thanks to surfing the net for 5 minutes. Reading the directions I wasn't sure it was going to work but it did!
This is what you do:

In a large bowl mix:
1/2 cup to 1 cup sugar
1/4 cup soft but not melted margarine (yes I know, you can substitute butter)
4 eggs
1/2 cup flour
2 cups milk (I used low fat)
1 cup coconut flakes
1/4 ts salt
1/2 ts baking powder
1 ts vanilla (I used 1/2 lemon, and 1/2 rum)

Beat vigorously, pour in a baking dish (pie pan) and bake on 350F for 50-60 minutes. Cakey bottom, crusty coconut crust and pudding inbetween. Et voilá.....comfort food!! I would like to give credit but this recipe is all over the net so... Nowhere near refined but really good, really comforting, just what you sometimes need when your house is a shambles and you need matchsticks to keep your eyes open, I assure you after this you only want your bed with clean sheets, a cup of tea and a good novel!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, that pie looks nice - I'm going to try it! We also had cauliflower - ours was with a chicken and mushroom pie that I made (using a new pie crust recipe), and I put the cauliflower in an 'echte engelse' cheese sauce, but with parmesan on top for a bit more bite.

    The best bit was that my Sebastian helped me in the kitchen for the first time - he sliced the mushrooms. Our dessert was courtesy of the supermarket freezer - duo ijs :)

    Congratulations on all the painting :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate and enjoy reading all your comments! If you have any questions feel free to email me.